Friday, October 7, 2011

EXPLODE that Sentence!!!

I was chatting with one of the cute moms at Writers Workshop this week and I LOVED the mini-lesson she did w/ her kiddos! I just HAD to share! :)  

She wrote some plain sentences on the board like... The cat sat on a rug.  Then she taught her kids to EXPLODE the sentence with description and meaning! They would end up with something like.... The sleepy, fat cat lazily sat on the colorful, soft rug.  Ok- her sentences were better than THAT, lol, but you get the idea.  And telling the kids to EXPLODE the sentence, well, it's just plain fun! What a GREAT way to get them engaged and excited about the mini-lesson.  And GREAT practice with their sentences! Way to go!!!

I have jotted this idea down as a mini-lesson I'm going to do this week.  I think I'm going to put THIS thank you dynamite out to decorate the table for the mini-lesson.  Then we of course will need to have a couple after we work on our sentences!!! :)

Have fun EXPLODING your sentences! 

No comments:

Post a Comment