Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Today's Mini-Lesson- American Fork

We had a lot of fun with our mini-lessons today and I wanted to share!

For the YOUNGER GROUP I covered the importance of having a beginning, middle, and end to their stories.  I had a stack of hamburgers in the center of the table.  I told the kids that I was going to tell them three stories today. I asked if they wanted a hamburger while they listened to them.  They, of course, said yes.  I gave one child the top of a hamburger, one the meat, one the pickles and onions, and one the bottom of the burger.  lol- they looked at me a little shocked! I then told them the first story.

It was a true story about something that happened to me at the zoo. I told them all about my trip and then what happened when an alligator became upset with me.  We talked about how he opened his mouth up VERY wide, every so slowly... and then all at once he came charging toward me.  And then I said, "Then End"

Now it was time for the second story. I started this story by saying, "And we were laughing and laughing because that joke was SO funny!!!! We ended up going on lots of rides at the carnival and had a great time! The End"

Then I told the third story.  I started out by telling about how excited I was when I woke up because I knew that I would be going to a party that day.  I got dressed in my cute party clothes and curled my hair.  It was such a fun party.  By then I was so tired I went to bed.  The End

HAHAHAHAHA- the sweet, cute kids looked at me as if I had lost my marbles.  I think their exact words were, "Ummm... those stories were horrible. And we really would like a whole hamburger."  HEEHEE!!! I asked them to tell my WHY they wanted the WHOLE hamburger... and WHY on earth didn't they like my stories?  They picked up on it REALLY quick and were able to articulate what was missing in each area!

Stories are like a hamburger, we want a beginning, middle, and end.... not just a PART of it. Not only do we want a WHOLE hamburger or story.... .but we want JUICY hamburgers with LOTS of yummy stuff added!! We discussed several different ways to add the JUICY details!! Sensory description, conflict/resolution, etc.

I gave each child three index cards.  They were to go and write a story putting the beginning on one, middle on the other, and end on the last.  Then they were to mix the cards up and see if their mom or friend could unscramble the story!

For the OLDER GROUP we practiced writing a first draft. We briefly spoke about what a first draft means.   We talked about how you just write, write, write to get all your ideas out on paper! After that discussion we decided to practice.  I would show a picture and each child had ONE MINUTE to write a story based on the photo.  They didn't have to finish the story... they just needed to work on it and get a much down on paper that they could in that one minute. OH. MY. GOODNESS. These kids were AMAZING!!!! We had a BLAST with this activity.  After each picture we would go around the circle and read what we had written and then we started again.  I also took SUPER FUN Halloween game cards and placed those on the table for the kids to make a story from .  SO, SO, SO, FUN!!! This kids really make this group the AMAZING group it is!!! Their assignment for the week was to pick one of the stories they started and finish the first draft. :)

3 comments:

  1. I really liked both of your classes today. I thought they were really fun for the kids. I think they learned alot from it as well. I know that I did. I had fun participating with the older kids today. I am going to do the same activity with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea. I want to try this with my kiddos at home. Thank you for taking the time to post this so that we may duplicate it.

    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are AWESOME! Thanks for posting comments!

    --Lori

    ReplyDelete