Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Halloween Writing Game

Have you ever played the ABC game where you pretend you are going on a trip and need to think of an item to bring with you that begins with each letter of the alphabet? For example, the first person would decide an item for the letter A.  They would say, "I'm going on a camping trip and I'm going to take with me an APPLE" Then the second person would repeat what the first person said and then come up with something for the letter B.  For example, "I'm going on a camping trip and I'm going to take with me an APPLE and a BANDANNA."  You go around and around the circle trying to remember and come up with ideas for each letter of the alphabet. 

Why not change this game into a Halloween writing activity!!  Tell your kids you are going to take a trip but you need their help packing.  You can decided on a place to travel to or an activity to do. You could say that you are going on a trip and you will be sleeping in a haunted house and you need to think of items to take with you.  OR you could say that you are heading to battle to destroy all the zombies on the planet.  Have fun with this and think of things that would be most appealing to your child.  Then begin the game.  The only rule you have is that you can NOT say the item you are adding to the list, you just need to write it down.  For example, If we had been playing the game for a while and it was my turn, this is what I would do.

I would SAY..
I'm going on a camping trip to a swamp and I'm going to bring with me
A- an axe to cut though all the vines
B- baseball bat to help protect me from the SWAMP MONSTER! EEK!
C- can of silly string to spray on an alligators to blind him while I run away!
D- doll to cuddle with when I am scared

and then it's my turn to think of something and my letter is E.  I would WRITE on the paper
E- envelopes to mail a letter if I need to send for help!

Sorry- those aren't the best ideas... but it's all I've got at 2:00am! Another way to play the game is to NOT repeat the list each time.  Just pass the paper back and forth between you and your child as you work your way through the list.  

If you play this game I would LOVE to hear where you went or what adventure you had and PLEASE don't forget to post the lists!!

ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment